Detailed Golden Visa Information
If you would like more detailed information about the Golden Visa then we’ve prepared a separate section just for you. We believe the list below covers the most relevant points to help you with your Golden Visa application.
Golden Visa Legislation Changes 2021
IMPORTANT: In February 2021, the Portuguese Government announced key changes to the Golden Visa which all potential applicants should be aware of. Fortunately, they have introduced a transition period so that people have time to prepare and adjust.
To make it as clear as possible we have split the rules into three time periods:
Now until December 31st 2021
You can still apply for the Golden Visa in Portugal as normal. If you want to secure your Golden Visa now with a lower investment, we highly recommend that you start the process as soon as possible.
New Rules – January 1st 2022 onwards
There will be geographic restrictions to those investing in real estate for the purposes of Golden Visa and many of the investment thresholds are increasing too.
- The minimum value related to Golden Visa Investment Funds will increase from €350,000 to €500,000
- The real estate investment for residential purposes will no longer an option in the metropolitan areas of Lisbon, Porto and much of the Algarve and will be limited to properties located in the interior territories of Portugal and on the islands of Madeira and Azores. The minimum investment amounts will remain unchanged: €500,000.00 (reduced to €400,000.00 if located in a “low density area”), or €350,000.00 (reduced to €280,000.00 if located in a “low density area”).
- The capital transfer threshold of €1 million will increase to a minimum of €1.5 million.
Take a look at our quick comparison table.
The reported motivation behind these changes is to divert investment into the less economically developed parts of the countries and breathe new life into Portugal’s rural interior and remote islands.
Golden Visa Document Checklist
It’s really important that you are aware of all the documents required in order to submit a complete Golden Visa application. Portugal has some quite bureaucratic tendencies and that may be the case in your country of origin too so it’s best to be proactive and prepared. You should also keep in mind that because some of these documents need to be notarised and/or apostilled, it can take longer than you think to get your hands on them.
Here’s what you need:
- The application form for your Portuguese Golden Visa
- A copy of a valid passport for each applicant along with travel documents
- Declaration from your bank Portugal confirming the transfer of funds and that they originated outside of Portugal
- Proof that you have made the minimum investment required (e.g. proof from the Golden Visa Investment Fund or an executed property CPCV/Deed)
- Certified copy of the criminal certificate or a Police clearance letter from your country of origin
- A completed form authorizing SEF to obtain an extract of your Portuguese criminal records
- A copy of your health insurance policy in Portugal
- An affidavit (declaration) from you personally confirming your intention to comply with the investment requirements (i.e. to maintain the investment for the required period of time)
- Documents from Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority and Social Security system declaring that you are in a position of good standing (i.e. have no outstanding debts to either department). These can be issued 45 days prior to your online application
- A receipt showing that you already paid the application processing fee
- Note that the certificates of criminal records or police clearance letters must have been issued no more than 90 days before submitting your application. For all other certificates, it is 180 days.
Golden Visa Application Costs
Golden Visa Statistics
Cost Comparison: Funds vs Real Estate vs Capital Contribution
|Golden Visa Fund||Real Estate||Capital Contribution|
|– Title Transfer (IMT)||0%||6.5%*||6.5%*||0%|
|– Stamp Duty||0%||0.8%||0.8%||0%|
|Registration & Notary Fees||0%||0.2%||0.2%||0%|
|Agent Fees at Exit (Est.)||0%||5% + VAT||5% + VAT||0%|
|Lawyer’s Fees (Est.)||€5,000||€5,000||€5,000||€5,000|
|Government’s Golden Visa Application Fees||€29,086||€29,086||€29,086||€29,086|
|Total Investment (Est.)||€384,086||€451,861||€627,336||€1,034,086|
*The above figures do not take into account the details within the Portuguese property tax rules. You can use this property tax calculator to get a more precise calculation.
Portuguese Real Estate Taxes
Assuming that you are purchasing the physical asset (rather than a company that owns the asset) then you can expect to pay the following taxes:
- Municipal Property Transfer Tax (IMT)
- Stamp duty (Imposto do Selo)
Municipal Property Transfer Tax (IMT) will be calculated on the price of the transaction or on the VPT (value of the real estate assessed by the Tax Authority), whichever is higher.
IMT is calculated using the following formula:
(Taxable value x Rate) – Threshold deduction = IMT to be paid
IMT is charged at the following rates:
- Flat rate of 6.5% on the sale or transfer of any urban property not exclusively of a residential nature
- Flat rate of 5% for rural properties
- Progressive rates for the sale and transfer of urban buildings or apartments exclusively for residential purposes that are intended to be the buyer’s permanent residence, ranging from 0% to 7.5% as mentioned below:
|Taxable Value (€)||Rate (%)||Threshold Deduction (€)|
|Up to 92,407||0||0|
|92,408 to 126,403||2||1,848.14|
|126,404 to 172,348||5||5,640.23|
|172,349 to 287,213||7||9,087.22|
|287,214 to 574,323||8||11,858.26|
|Above 574,323 to 1,000,000||6||0|
- Progressive rates for the sale and transfer of urban buildings or apartments exclusively for residential purposes and/or intended for letting purposes, but not intended as the buyer’s permanent residence, ranging from 1% to 6% as mentioned in below:
|Taxable Value (€)||Rate (%)||Threshold Deduction (€)|
|Up to 92,407||1||0|
|92,408 to 126,403||2||924.07|
|126,404 to 172,348||5||4,716.22|
|172,349 to 287,213||7||8,163.09|
|287,214 to 550,836||8||11,035.30|
|Above 550,836 to 1,000,000||6||0|